Date Posted: 21-11-2016
Location: Alhambra , CA, USA
Contact Person: LeChé McGill
Company/Business Name: Univeristy of California Agriculture & Natural Res
Nutrition, Family & Consumer Sciences Advisor
The Area Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor for Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Sciences (NFCS) will conduct a locally- based extension, education and applied research NFCS program in the general disciplinary area of nutrition education and consumer science with emphasis in the area of childhood obesity prevention, to meet clientele needs in Los Angeles and Orange Counties. The CE advisor will provide leadership, academic oversight and supervision to the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) low-income nutrition education programs funded by the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) in both Los Angeles and Orange Counties as well as a growing Master Food Preserver (MFP) program in Orange County. The opportunity may also exist to enlist and engage Los Angeles County MFP participants in the coming years.
•Provide academic leadership for federally funded nutrition education program targeted toward low-income families and youth (EFNEP). Conduct, administer and provide academic oversight and supervision for the existing EFNEP programs in Los Angeles and Orange Counties and a growing Master Food Preserver (MFP) program in Orange County.
• Conduct a comprehensive communitywide NFCS needs assessments and monitor trends and issues to identify priority community needs.
• Develop and implement applied research designed to monitor changes and solve locally relevant problems.
• Evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results, and potential or actual impacts to scientific and lay audiences through a variety of outreach methods.
• Interact with others within UC ANR’s research/extension network (such as the UC ANR Youth, Families and Communities Statewide Program, UC ANR Program Teams, CE specialists, CE advisors, Agricultural Experiment Station (AES) faculty, and others) to participate in extension and applied research activities, and to develop, strengthen, and expand the local delivery of statewide programs at the local level.
• Maintain and promote UC ANR CE’s credibility and visibility by participating in professional organizations and collaborating with county government partners, health agencies, policy makers, and community organizations by providing independent science-based information and leadership.
• May also expand the UC Master Food Preserver Program or other family consumer science activities after becoming established in their programmatic and research responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
A minimum of a Master's Degree is required, though other advanced degrees are encouraged in nutrition, health education, public health, human development, social policy or a closely related field. Academic training and/or professional experience must provide an understanding of nutrition. Additionally, academic training and/or professional experience in program design and research methodologies is required. Experience working with diverse populations and the ability to bridge cultural differences is required. Ability to apply low-literacy and cultural/ethnic principles into extension and research program elements is preferred. Strong leadership skills and experience in program and personnel management are highly desirable. The ability to build partnerships, community collaboration, and to work with multidisciplinary teams to address challenges of low income populations is desired. Excellent written, oral, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills are required.
Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank, and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California website: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/250093.pdf
For full position vacancy announcement and UC application, please visit our website at http://ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990/
For full consideration, application packets should be submitted in their entirety no later than January 6, 2017 to: email@example.com
Please refer to position AP#16-16.
For questions regarding this position please contact LeChé McGill at firstname.lastname@example.org
: Commensurate with experience