Date Posted: 31-7-2012
Position Filled !
Location: Alexandria, LA, USA
for more ads click here
OPPORTUNITY: Manage a sustainable diversified organic vegetable operation on 13 acres, expanding to 50 acres over five years.
COMPENSATION: We provide housing and utilities on the farm in a three bedroom, two bath, newly renovated house with central air and heat. We offer health insurance and a 401K matching program, and a 35 to 45K salary, depending on experience and skills. Opportunity for profit sharing as the business becomes successful.
• Knowledge of Organic Vegetable Farming Infrastructure
• Tools and Equipment of Organic Vegetable Farming
• Soil and Nutrient Management
• Crop Rotation
• Plant Pathology
• Pest Management
• Weed Management
• Succession Planting
• Post-Harvest Handling
• CSA and Farmers Market Knowhow
• Analysis prior production and plan for future production.
• Development of operational plans for current tracts.
• Development of infrastructure plans for new tracts.
• Facility with farm implements and equipment.
• Labor management in the methods of organic vegetable production.
• Good people and communication skills including the ability to teach and learn.
• Financial and yield management skills.
EXPERIENCES NEEDED: At least five years experience in all of the above with a commercially viable organic vegetable operation.
THE COMPANY: Inglewood is a certified organic vegetable farm, forage-fed chicken and pig farm, organic pecan orchard, and nature preserve. Since January we have been growing certified organic vegetables on ten acres and selling at three farmers markets a week as well as local grocers and distributors. In January we hope to launch a CSA. We employ humane, dignified, environmentally sustainable practices to raise nutritious organically raised food for local consumers.