Date Posted: 8-12-2011
Location: Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Contact Person: Angela Morell Perez
Company/Business Name: IFOAM EU Group
JOB DESCRIPTION: Scientific Coordinator
RESPONSIBLE TO: IFOAM EU Group Director (Head of TP Organics platform secretariat)
To assist in the conception of positions in the area of EU research policies, to raise the scientific profile of IFOAM EU and TP Organics and to coordinate the activities of the research technology platform TP Organics professionally.
1. Ensuring scientific profile
a) Drawing up and agreeing common positions in the area of research policy
b) Assist in developing alternative research concepts concerning participatory research, stakeholder involvement and EU and transnational research approaches
c) Position organic sector as forerunner in area of professional knowledge management, research take-up and innovation
d) Analysis impact of EU research policies on organic research and keep the scientific community and interested stakeholders updated
e) Participate in projects of the IFOAM EU Group and ensure professional performance in its implementation.
f) Produce analysis, dossiers and/or studies as required.
2. Coordinating the activities of the platform and manage the TP secretariat
a) Coordinate and follow up the different activities and the processes related to the technology platform TP Organics.
b) Ensure the management of an efficient platform secretariat, including correspondence, filing and other office systems and procedures.
c) Assist in drawing up and implementing the platform business plan and produce reports of activities as required.
d) Oversee the management and development all necessary IT communication systems for the platform.
e) Organise, prepare for, attend, take minutes and follow up platform meetings/phone conferences and others events as requested.
f) Coordinate the elaboration of research needs of the organic sector within the IFOAM EU Group in collaboration with the head of the research committee.
g) Gather information, track and analyse the political processes regarding organic research policies.
3. External relations/Communication
a) Ensure good communication within and outside of TP Organics with platform partners and with other stakeholders regarding platform activities and positions and current political developments, using appropriate media.
b) Assist the IFOAM EU director in setting up strategic relations and international collaborations.
c) Coordinate research advocacy activities and assist in lobby campaign as requested.
d) Producing the platform newsletter and maintaining the TP Organics website;
e) Represent the platform at external events and to the scientific community and to the public
f) Organise seminars/conferences of the technology platform.
a) Assist in fund raising and secure adequate finances for the ongoing activities of the platform TP Organics and to ensure that funders are kept satisfied and committed.
b) Assist the IFOAM EU director (head of platform secretariat) in the day-to-day financial management of TP Organics.
c) Ensure up-to-date and regular controlling of the project finances, including drafting yearly project reports.
JOB PROFILE / PERSON SPECIFICATION
JOB TITLE: Scientific Coordinator
Education & Qualifications
• Educated to higher level education or equivalent (preferable PhD)
Experience - Essential
• At least 2 years experience in the organic food and farming and/or in the research sector
• At least 1 years experience in organisation and coordination
• Experience in a variety of IT applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and databases
Experience - Desirable
• Experience in research institution/university
• Experience in other non-governmental organisation
• Good conceptual skills/scientific
• Good organisational/coordinating skills
• Good administration skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills in English
• Preferable good verbal and written communication skills in French
• Good minute writing skills
• Empathy with the aims and objectives of the IFOAM EU Group
• Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
• Able to synthesise complex issues
• Accurate working method with good attention to detail
• Strong engagement
• Good communication skills
• Able to work under pressure and to short deadlines
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Full time position, mainly based in Brussels.
Office hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday to
Friday, 38 hours/week,
flexible working hours possible, 20-25 days holiday per annum.
Gross salary for full time employment between € 20,000-30,000 per annum subject to qualifications and experience, plus pension scheme, food/eco- vouchers and allowances.
Project period: 2,5 to 3 years (continuation envisaged)
Start: from March/April 2012
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 6th February 2012
Applications to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the IFOAM EU application form only to be downloaded at:
: between € 20,000-30,000 per annum