Date Posted: 2-4-2011
Position Filled !
Location: Gazelle , CA, USA
for more ads click here
Shasta Farms is a 10,000-acre organic farm that is building a slaughter facility and group of old-fashioned butcher shops to market its products. The butcher shops, scheduled to launch in 2012, will offer an old-world experience to California consumers interested in purchasing high-quality, healthy, and great tasting meats. By controlling the entire production chain – from the farm, through slaughter and processing, and right through to the point of sale – Shasta Farms will offer an unparalleled experience to the consumer, ideal for an emerging market of consumers concerned about food safety, environmental responsibility, and taste quality.
Shasta Farms will become one of three American farms with a wholly owned slaughter facility, and the first to own its entire distribution channel. Shasta Farms will produce nearly every type of meat imaginable, from guinea fowl to goats, with a focus on super-premium beef and pork. Given its focus on natural and sustainable production, Shasta Farms will raise primarily heritage breed animals selected for great taste quality.
The Poultry Manager is responsible for the daily operational activities of the multi-species poultry program at Shasta Farms. This position will plan, oversee and participate in the management of all aspects of the poultry production program at Shasta Valley Farm, including:
- Poultry husbandry;
- Egg production;
- Incubation and hatchery;
- Breeding selection;
- Manure management and collection;
- Coordination of transport to proprietary slaughter facility;
- Coordination poultry feeding and water systems;
- Maintenance of livestock housing and equipment:
- Creation and management of production records;
- Maintenance of strict bio-security measures;
This position will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that annual production targets for poultry are met;
- Care, accountability, protection and well-being of all poultry, including but not limited to meat chickens, layer chickens, quail, turkey, squab, geese, rabbits and ducks (see below for information on anticipated poultry numbers at Shasta Valley Farm);
- Upkeep of the fixed and mobile facilities associated with poultry production and animal husbandry.
- Implementing USDA Organic standards, as stipulated in the National Organic Program;
- Hiring, management of and supervision of all poultry personnel including both year-round and seasonal staff.
Recommended skills/experience include:
- Three years livestock/poultry management experience;
- High school diploma/GED required, Bachelors Degree recommended (relevant major encouraged);
- Farm implement operation;
- Spanish language skills;
- Mechanical repair and maintenance;
- Experience in organic animal husbandry and accompanying record keeping;
- Position reports to the Grain Division Manager
Grain Division Manager
Mid-April Start Date